Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Rain, snow and London views

Today was such a beautiful day - really cold but with that pinkish-gold winter sunshine.
I walked across the Festival footbridge from Waterloo Station, over the Thames by the London Eye, Globe Theatre, and Royal Festival Hall. Such a stunning view of the city.
Arrived at the office with pink cheeks, thoroughly aired-out and feeling really fit!

The cold here is fine, as long as you dress for it. I have all my ski clothes out and am really warm in my down jacket and gloves, and a hat when necessary (to hell with "hat head")!
The snow has melted but it was really amazing to have so much. It's so rare here.

After yesterday's heavy rains some counties are flooded. Surrey, nearby, has fields and farms underwater, and from the train this morning I saw that many of the flooded fields has iced over, and poor horses were standing in the mud; at least they were covered with blankets.

I must say, I now remember that my least favourite weather is incessant rain, coupled with deep cold and topped with gusty winds. Yesterday we had all that. Really unpleasant. But today made up for it.

We have fleece throws on the couch and chairs, and when we watch TV or a film, we all snuggle up under them. Drinking loads of hot tea, too. It's very cosy!

Already the evenings are drawing out. It no longer gets dark at 4pm but by 6pm it is now almost night. Buds on trees and plants are tightly closed just waiting for a hint of warmer weather to burst out. I noticed a clump of snowdrops peeking above the snow at the end of the garden. They look so frail but are so hardy.

Keep warm!